Ponce De Leon Inlet Light, Florida


Where is the second tallest lighthouse in the country?  It's here in Daytona Beach.

This trip was special to me not only because I was able to climb the tallest lighthouse in Florida, but it was a trip with my son, Jonathan, on Thanksgiving weekend in 2017.

Ponce De Leon Inlet Light is 175 feet with 203 steps to the top.  It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1998 as one of the best-preserved and most authentic historic Lighthouses in the US.

History says that in October 1919, the assistant keeper suffered heart failure and died while climbing the stairs to light the lamp. I was glad I didn't have a heart attack - only got some palpitations. Despite its 203 steps, climbing this lighthouse was not too much of a challenge for me. I enjoyed every step of it, with the guidance of my son.

The panoramic view from atop was gorgeous. But the beauty of the lighthouse is even more impressive. This is definitely one of my favorite lighthouses.

Daytona is known for car race and driving a car on the beach.  To maximize our drive to the lighthouse, we headed to Daytona Beach with my goal to drive my car on the beach. Unfortunately, it didn't work out because the beach was about to close. The photo op was all we did.

There's always another chance to go back here.  Nevertheless, it was a great day to climb this lighthouse and definitely a great time with my son.













Comments