Blackwell Island Light, New York City








We rarely see a lighthouse in the middle of a city.  Here, I found one in New York City!

Blackwell Island Lighthouse is also known as Welfare Island Lighthouse or Roosevelt Island Lighthouse, located at the tip of Roosevelt Island.  It was built by NY City in 1872 and was designated a NY City Landmark in 1976.

A little history about Roosevelt Island billeted the Smallpox Hospital, the first hospital in the US to receive smallpox patients.  It is now a crumbling ruin and known as the "most haunted place in NYC."

One of the things I like about this lighthouse is the piece of Memoriam on the ground.  It says like this -

In Memory of Vicki Holland 

"A warm, compassionate woman who loved life and living and shared freely of herself with our community.  By speaking out, she helped create a beacon of light to reach into the shadows where most disabled persons have been forced to exist, away from society's mainstream.  Her courage, spirit, and determination remain an inspiration to us all."

To Ms. Vicki Holland . . . my salute to you, ma'am!

I didn't feel any ghost when I visited the island.  Instead, I discovered another lighthouse in one of my favorite cities in the world!








 

Comments