Crooked River, Florida



This lighthouse is not the typical looking lighthouse and may not be as beautiful as other lighthouse, but it has been a guiding light for 120 years.

It was originally built in 1895 on Dog Island.  The 103 foot iron and steel structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located at Carrabelle Beach in a forest habitat with a public park. There's a replica of the Keeper's House that serves as a historic museum and gift shop.

Rain was about to pour and it prevented me from climbing to the top.  I watched the lighthouse and the dark sky from the Keeper's house. He was nice to let me to take photos on the first few steps of the stair.

It was almost a day of driving to visit  two lighthouses on Florida's "Forgotten Coast"  on my birthday. It was a relaxing day well spent.

A peaceful drive to see the countryside is always a part of my lighthouse journey.



  







Comments