Cape St. George Light, Florida



    




It was my birthday week, and I had to do something special - I mean some kind of a getaway.

So I thought of visiting more lighthouses. I drove three hours to St. George Island to see this lighthouse.

The records say that Cape St. George Light is the fourth reconstruction of the original lighthouse.  The first lighthouse was erected in 1833, then it was damaged by the storm.  It was dismantled and reconstructed in 1848.  It was again damaged by a hurricane in 1851, and another lighthouse was built in 1852.  Unfortunately, beach erosion caused its collapse in October 2005. Volunteers salvaged more than 22,000 original bricks from the rubble. They rebuilt it and opened it to the public in December 2008.

From the outside, the lighthouse looks new, but its history is not.

I was lucky. That day was open, and I was able to climb to the top.  It was a nice view of the blue peaceful water and the quaint Little St. George Island.

A new lighthouse is seen, and another year of many blessings.



                      





Comments