Gorling Bluff Lighthouse, Cayman Islands











My spontaneous trip to Grand Cayman was complimented by my discovery of this historic lighthouse.

Gorling Bluff Light, also known as the East End Light, is located at the east end of Grand Cayman.  This is the first lighthouse in the Cayman Islands.  The tower was constructed and first lit in 1937.  

According to history, "the east end of Grand Cayman has long been well known for the treacherous reefs, and in the past known as the Graveyard of the Caribbean."

This area was the famous shipwreck site in 1794, the "Wreck of the Ten Sail."  The story says that 10 ships were part of a convoy from Jamaica to the United States and Britain and were unfortunately wrecked on the reef. Miraculously, only 8 people died.

The original light was a kerosene lantern. The lighthouse remains active in navigation and is currently powered by solar energy. 








I didn't only discover this lighthouse, but I also learned the story of the "Wreck of the Ten Sail." I saw a part of the old ship and new ships ashore.  Also, I enjoyed my ride seeing a big part of the Cayman Islands. Thanks to a nice driver who gave me a private ride, a tour, and who served as my cameraman. 

It was a hot and humid yet beautiful day to explore the island. But I had a surprising shower from the water geysers called the "Blow Holes."  It cooled me down. 


I had a great trip seeing this lighthouse, exploring the island, and a fun time meeting new Filipino friends. This spontaneous trip was worth unplanned. 











Comments